The Magnolia Lounge was built in 1936 by the Magnolia (later to be Mobil) Oil Company.
Visitors to the Centennial Exposition used the lounge as a resting place where they could watch films and enjoy continuous entertainment. Its architecture was the first example of European Modernism in Texas.
In 1947 the Magnolia Lounge took on a new life as theater artist Margo Jones' professional, regional theater, where plays were staged "in-the-round." Over the next years, Jones produced 85 plays in the theater, including an original work by a then-unknown playwright by the name of Tennessee Williams.
A few years after Jones's death in 1955, the lounge went idle. During the 1980s and 1990s, the lounge functioned as a visitors center for Fair Park.
Today, the building houses the offices of the Friends of Fair Park. In addition, the theater space where Margo Jones once produced her plays is rentable. Today, the Margo Jones Theatre company is producing works in this historic theater space.
You'll find the Magnolia Lounge at the intersection of Grand and First avenues, next to the African-American Museum.
Magnolia Lounge (also home of the Friends of Fair Park )
1121 First Ave.
Dallas, TX 75210