We asked some of our best friends and came up with this short list of selected restaurants you might want to explore.
From white tablecloths to paper napkins, a wide range of eateries are nearby to suit just about anybody's ... well, tastes.
Just east of downtown and west of Fair Park, the Deep Ellum neighborhood was a hotbed for blues and jazz during the 1920s and '30s.
Among the dozens of clubs and restaurants, Deep Ellum is the place to go if you like a little urban funk with your fries. Some of our favorites:
- Local, 2936 Elm St., # A, (214) 752-7500
- Cane Rosso, 2612 Commerce St., (214) 577-6747
- Pecan Lodge, 2702 Main St., (214) 748-8900
- Twisted Root Burger Co., 2615 Commerce St., (214) 741-7668
- Angry Dog, 2726 Commerce St., (214) 741-4406
- Monkey King Noodle Co., 3014 Main St., (469) 206-3658
- The Meridian Room, 3611 Parry Ave., (214) 826-8383
Offering gourmet pizzas, oustanding libations and a comfy lounge vibe, here's a great spot across from DART light rail's Fair Park Station where you can chill out with friends.
- PizzaLOUNGE, 841 Exposition Ave., (214) 887-6900
Ever wanted to find a bar in Dallas that was casual, with great music, tasty beers and a nice, non-pretentious crowd? Didn't think such a place existed in Dallas? Think again.
- The Amsterdam Bar, 831 Exposition Ave., (214) 827-3433
The Dallas Examiner once wrote, "Stop by this local restaurant and you're likely to run into celebrities like Blair Underwood, Hill Harper, or Erykah Badu. The unpretentious setting across the street from Fair Park isn't the appeal. It's the barbecue, seafood, and friendly staff.
- Two Podners, 1441 Robert B. Cullum Blvd., (214) 421-5327
- Cold Beer Company, 3600 Main St., (214) 370-9301
Cold Beer Company is a local, neighborhood-friendly bar with a focus on beer, cocktails, homemade food and a great atmosphere.
- Stonedeck Pizza Pub, 2613 Elm St., (469) 802-6742
Stonedeck Pizza Pub offers American-style pizza with a crispy crust. It has a full bar, over 100 craft ales, and specialize in house-infused moonshine.
Plus, north and east of Fair Park – tucked into a diverse, residential neighborhood – is a former church that has been converted into a Hare Krishna Temple. This unlikely spot is the location for one of Dallas' most off-the-beaten path vegetarian restaurants:
- Kalachandji's Restaurant and Palace, 5430 Gurley Ave., (214) 821-1048
This list of restaurants is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all restaurants within close proximity to Fair Park. Neither has fairpark.org received any compensation for the listings shown.
For a more detailed list of dining options in Dallas, a great place to look is the Dallas Convention and Visitors Bureau.